[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Matthew Palmer matthew at tinfoil.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 16 19:01:01 UTC 2006

Hi List :)

Andy Farnsworth  wrote:
> Interestingly enough, I was having telephone problems last month (i.e.
> PSTN line didn't work and Internet Connection didn't work) however, my
> DSL modem was telling me that it had successfully Synced with the DSL
> signal on the line.  If I unhooked the line, it told me no signal and
> when I reconnnected it, it indicated that the signal was back.  When BT
> finally fixed it, they indicated that one wire of my pair had broken,
> but the other wire was intact.  The tech then indicated that since the
> DSL modem has it's own ground, one wire is all that was necessary for
> the DSL rather than two.  Anyone know if this is just some tech making
> it up as he went along or what?
I can't attest to the technical explanation but I can add a "Me Too!"
My phone line mysteriously died yet my DSL worked just fine.  The cause
of the fault was that an urban fox gnawed my phone cable, which looped a
little in the porch, severing several wires including one of the main
pair...  Thankfully BT didn't charge me :)

Regards,
Matthew Palmer :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk