[Gllug] Dedicated servers

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Wed Aug 16 14:10:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> This is something of a hardy perennial, but what would people recommend
> for a really cheap (cheapness is more important than 99.99% reliability)
> dedicated server.

I've used ipx-server.de for ~2 years now, and I'm fairly happy with them;
little unfortunate thing, they only offer contracts and terms in German
(German company), but their support team also speaks English.

Also, I've recently got another new server form another German company
(offering available in English), which got fairly good results in tests in
German computer magazines for a while now - and my first impression is
pretty good as well.   (The fact, they're even cheaper than IPX helps...).

I chose the smallest server they're offering, which cost EUR 99 (~GBP £70)
one-time setup fee and ~GBP 26 / month to run (1 month minimum term);
payable by credit card.

For that, I've got:

   - AMD Athlon 64 3700+, 1GB DDR400 RAM, 2*160GB HD
   - free choice of OS from

 	Standard incl. LAMP*:
 	SuSE 9.3 64 Bit / 10.0 64 Bit / 10.1 64 Bit, Debian 3.1 64 Bit or

 	Standard Minimal Image:
 	SuSE 9.3 / 9.3 64 Bit / 10.0 / 10.0 64 Bit / 10.1 / 10.1 64 Bit, Debian
 	3.1 / 3.1 64 Bit,

 	(other operating systems available on request)

   - 6 IP addrs (subnet 8)
   - traffic usage unlimited inclusive  (from 1TB a month, they will limit
     the network to 10Mbps, though -- but not cut off; additional 250GB
     'unlimited' speed blocks may be requested free of charge if need be;
     but apparently, these have to be requested ONCE the old "limit" is
     reached, i.e. you can't ask them in advance to not limit speed at
     those points - most likely as a minor deterrent to people up-/
     downloading way too much stuff).

more info: http://www.hetzner.de/rootserver_en.html

(there is no referral fee or anything in it for me, nor am I in any way
  associated with the company apart from being a customer; so I'm not
  not suggesting them for personal gain).  Also, the company is not a new
  "fly-by-nite" venture, but a company that has been around for years -
  originally I was looking at using them as a hosting company, but then I
  found ipx, who were cheaper at the time).

> Doesn't have to be in the UK but has to be Linux
> (preferrably Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora at worst).

Debian is on offer; unfortunately not ubuntu, though...

Benedikt

   ALLIANCE, n.  In international politics, the union of two thieves who
     have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pockets that
     they cannot separately plunder a third.
 			(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)