[Gllug] Network cards for linux servers

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 10:01:24 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06, Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com> wrote:

> I need to add a 100Mbit port to a Dell 2450 that's running as a firewall.
> Normally I'd just buy Intel but the dual port gigabit cards seem to be all
> that's available these days, which seems a bit overpriced (at £100) for
> what I need.

Yes, just a bit. 100baseT cards are still widely available from
various places online (e.g., http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk for 5 quid),
and most computer shops still sell them, too. My local one in Chiswick
has them for a tenner. For a firewall, you won't come close to
saturating 100Mb/s, and going for gigabit is just throwing money away
for the sake of it.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk