[Gllug] Wifi that works with Ubuntu

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 11:15:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 21:37 +0100, John G Walker wrote:

> BTW when I spoke to Linux Emporium about the cards I was told that not
> all these Belkin cards use a Linux-friendly chipset. So you can't just
> pop down to PC World to get the same card and expect it to work. So
> maybe an email to Belkin to encourage them to be consistently
> Linux-friendly is in order

The Belkin USB wifi sticks use a different chipset depending on their
version, but appear exactly the same to the OS - which isn't very
anything-friendly.

Version 2000 worked with the rt2570 driver but is now pretty hard to
find. Argos might have it (!) they stock two Belkin USB cards, one
54mbs, the other 128mbs. The price & speed of the first one suggest it
could be the v2000.

v3000 works with the rt73 driver (included in rt2x00 -
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com) but it's a lot flakier in my experience.

http://ralink.rapla.net/ has a list of which devices uses a ralink
chipset, and has links to lists for other chipsets, eg atheros.

Tom SW

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk