[Gllug] Bash scripting question

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Aug 10 17:52:59 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have the following script fragment:

tags=( $( vorbiscomment "$1") )
 for tag in $(seq 0 $((${#tags[@]} - 1)))
  do
  echo ${tags[$tag]}
  done

which should extract the comments from the filename in $1 into the array
$tags. So far so good. Unfortunately I find that the input is split up at
spaces and line breaks, meaning that multi-word tags get distributed across
more than one array element. Is there a way to get the assignment statement
to break the vorbiscomment at line breaks only, or do I need to write a
routine to put the broken lines back together?

Thanks,

Dylan

--
"The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out."
                                                (Chinese Proverb)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk