[Gllug] Was there Power Outage at Telehouse?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 22:54:14 UTC 2006

Matthew Thompson wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2006, at 16:18, - Tethys wrote:
>
>> On 8/17/06, Matthew Thompson <matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> It appears it was the power distribution unit lost power - this is
>>> the
>>> last section before your/your ISP's servers so would be difficult to
>>> build in much more redundancy there.
>> Not so. Redundant PDUs per room, feeds from both PDUs to each cabinet,
>> and multiple power supplies per server, taking feeds from both PDUs.
>> Simple, really.
>
> Can you safely do this across phases?

Each PDU outputs 3 phase, and you can have feeds from the same phase on
two different PDUs. Most data centres also allow feeds from different
phases of the same PDU. I'm not quite sure how they arrange to make sure
you never get ~450 volts across your kit, but it can be done.

Not that this always helps of course - only a couple of weeks ago the
main Level 3 data centre in Goswell Road lost all power. Seems the
generators weren't working quite as well as one would have hoped.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk