[Gllug] ssh daemon problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Thu Aug 31 22:26:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 12:18 +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 11:45:13AM +0100, Adrian wrote:
> > I have a managed server (Debian64) with which I am having some problems with.
> >
> > The server runs ftp, sendmail, httpd and (supposedly) sshd. But the sshd
> > seems to have stopped working.
> >
> > When I boot it up in rescue mode I can see no reason for the failure
> > (nothing in the logs) - though the only thing I can think of is that I
> > added a line in /etc/hosts
>
> So take it out and see if that fixes it.

No. it doesn't. Webmin works and I've been able to remove and reinstall
the ssh daemon and that doesn't fix it either.

If i use webmin to restart the daemon it tells me it has started running
but it must die instantly, though sadly seems to leave no trace in the
logs.

Webmin means I can do (almost) everything I need but it is very
frustrating not to have a proper CLI.

Anyone else seem similar behaviour or have any sort of other clue?

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk