[Gllug] Browsing WiFi networks on Linux

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Aug 23 11:34:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:50:24AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> I've just been experimenting with setting up wireless networking on a
> couple of Linux boxes.  It seems fairly straightforward, but I miss one
> facility from Windows.  There one can browse available WiFi networks and
> choose which one to connect to, but I haven't yet found an equivalent in
> Linux.  Is there such an application?

Sounds like you might want to try NetworkManager

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

No more manually configuring /etc/sysconfig/... files each time you
want to join a different wifi network. Just select the one you want
from the desktop panel applet - it will also auto-switch to wired if
you plug in the ethernet cable. Its a standard part of Fedora these
days and should work on recent Debian / Suse / etc too (they may
already include it by now). Works pretty nicely in my experiance -
makes Linux networking almost as esay as the Mac - you'll notice the
applet bears a passing resemblance to the similar networking applet
in Mac OS X.

Regards,
Dan.