[Gllug] OT - Windows backup problem.

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 18:23:56 UTC 2006

paul at ma1.se wrote:

> I too don't have a working Windows install to hand (well only XP home
> which has no backup facility).

Does it not? I'm told by a colleague who uses XP at home that it (not
sure if he has home or professional) has a backup facility but it isn't
installed by default and is quite hard to find on the CD. As a
professional he knows the value of backups and took the trouble to hunt
it out, I wonder how many people bother.

To me it seems a rather strange policy to discourage users from taking
backups. It's hard enough to persuade some people to take backups even
when the facilities are available. A colleague recently lost a
substantial amount of java code he was developing on his PC because he
didn't store it on a fileserver share as everyone is told to with all
important files. I've now arranged for his PC to back itself up
automatically every night to our TSM server (and told him not to turn it
  off) but horses and stable doors..

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk