[Gllug] Raising awareness of GLLUG meetings

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Mon Aug 28 18:49:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 00:13 +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> The meeting attendance numbers since I started organising them has
> hovered between 20 and 35 people per meeting.
>
> However - at the moment we have 593 people subscribed to this mailing
> list so the number of physical attendees isn't fantastic.

> If you have any ideas or comments about our low meeting attendance
> numbers I would love to have a discussion thread about it here!

I have been to two or three meetings myself and have found them to be
educational and fun. Having said that, I am unaware of what could be
done to ensure my, or anyone else's, attendance at future meetings.

>From my POV London is a busy city with still only so much time available
in the day. Each event, such as the flier distribution + tech meeting on
the 16th, seems to hold something of interest to me and then life comes
along to make it unduly difficult for me to attend. I suspect that this
is what has kept the numbers at the stage they are at.

Have you started tracking who does attend? Is it possible that there is
40%+ attending but they are spread throughout the year?

As for suggestions about what to do maybe:

1) promote the event similar to what LinuxExpo did - ask people to sign
up due to virtual limited seating and allow anyone to show up who wants
to. This will give an idea of how many to expect, give fodder for
promotions (WOW 36 people attending so far, this event is gonna be our
biggest ever), and when people sign up for things they are more likely
to make that little bit more effort that can have them show up vs. not
showing up.

2) Maybe switching to less times a year, for those who are not in
attendance every months then they *might* double up. This would only
give higher attendance per meeting likely not an actual increase in the
numbers who attend.

3) Would Sunday be an option?

Option 1 may annoy some people as spam but even the Tube advertises on
the Tube. Option 2 may also annoy some people and I hope it is not a
route taken. Option 3 I am sure has more complexities then just being a
different day of the weekend.

Either way I do not see my attendance-reliability improving. I will
continue to aim to attend.

HTH
Justin

--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk