[Gllug] Wifi that works with Ubuntu

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Aug 2 19:30:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 17:25 +0100, Kendall, Peter (LRDG) wrote:
> I've just loaded Ubuntu Dapper Drake onto an Advent laptop and am trying to
> find a Wifi card that will work.
>
> Are there known chipsets that I can quote to buy a card that Ubuntu will
> recognise?

Ralink write drivers, according to www.linuxemporium.co.uk, and they
supply Belkin cards with known chipsets that have said drivers, so I got
a pair from them for a pair of second user Dell 8200s I picked up last
week. Arrived next day complete with driver disk, tho' I noticed that
suse 10.1 recognised the cards as being there and installed drivers out
of the box.

They want to encourage ralink to continue to do so - I've been meaning
to send the companies (ralink and belkin) a little appreciative email
saying thanks for being linux friendly, I bought your hardware
specifically for that reason! If that would have any effect, but you
never know, it might filter up to a decision level in the organisation
if a few of us do so...

The fact I haven't got wireless working with suse yet is probably down
to my incompetence and ignorance, 'cos the devices have been found,
recognised, and had drivers installed, according to the hardware list.

I will have another go when the kids get to bed tonight if I'm still
awake enough to fiddle with pooters.

Roll on start of school term!

Yours
exhausted housedad