[Gllug] Dedicated servers

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Sun Aug 20 09:18:50 UTC 2006

Chris Bell wrote:

> On Sun 20 Aug, Andy Smith wrote:
>

>>I don't have any specific recommendations but I would suggest that
>>you focus on the US if you don't care about it being in UK, as it is
>>going to be a lot cheaper.
>>

>    Why do I keep seeing this comment about UK charges?

Well I think London UK charges to be more precise. There might be some
good deals going in the regional datacentres such as Manchester, but
generally speaking a dedicated server overseas is going to be cheaper.

Although transit deals in the UK have improved, 1&1 for example are
currently offering dedicated servers for the cost of just colocating
your own hardware in London.

In recent months many London based providers will have been hit with the
double whammy of rack price increases and a demand to reduce power
density. Staffing is expensive in London too.

Having said that in the last few weeks I have been offered some very
good rack deals from a few ISP's in "Telebus" area but I would think
these reflect "marginal cost" pricing rather than the true cost of the
rackspace.

I'm also aware some providers have not fully absorbed the increased
datacentre costs as they have been given a "grace period" specially with
regard to reducing rack density.

As Andy says unless you really need to be in the UK (for faster loading,
better ping times, control or the need for a UK IP address to say, rank
slightly better on Google.co.uk) seriously consider a US or Europe provider.

Paul
www.ma1.se

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk