[Gllug] Interactive Documentation.

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:05:40 UTC 2006

On 21/08/06, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> > Why is it that Linux users always seam to go for text editors I'm a vi
> > fan but if you want the man in the street to use it you NEED to go for
> > WYSIWYG approach I think if I spoke to the office staff about it they
> > would suggest Word (and I would give them openoffice which is not
> > really suitable for large documents of this style)
>
> I'm having the misfortune at the moment of collaborating on a book
> using Word's "track changes" feature, which is a sort of version
> control abomination.  It's lame that this is the most "powerful"
> document control that most people have access to.

I totally aggree, its quite straight forward for any document over 5
pages that keeps changing Word (or OpenOffice) is not the correct
tool.

However a WYSIWYG tool that can handle long documents with proper
version control and hyperlinks (for glossaries, contence etc) in them
that work are non-exsistant and hence normal users are stuck using
Word which is extremly sad. Its simular to the fact that I've seen
many people running large complex databases in Excel (worse still Word
Tables)!

If I had a cunning plan to write one I would but I've got no idea how
it would work.

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk