[Gllug] SGI Hardware (This is an I WANT not an I'VE GOT, sorry)

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Mon Aug 7 11:12:56 UTC 2006

Matthew King uttered:

> I have found a supplier who is able to get me the bits I need to get my
> SGI Indigo up and running for a mere £90. I'll pay this if necessary but
> for something which will just be for fun this seems a little excessive.

A mere £90? What do you need to get it working? Give me £90 and I'd
happily let you take my working Indigo off my hands, keyboard and mouse
included:)

> Also he doesn't have any mice.
>
> So: Does anybody have any Indigo mice, keyboards or other bits (A 13W3
> cable shorter than 3 metres would be nice, for example) I can beg borrow
> (permanently) or steal to drive the cost of getting this toy to work
> down.

13W3? Ooh, this is better than entry level graphics, then?

> Especially mice. I can probably get somewhere without it for a while but
> using X mouseless will no doubt be a pain.

You don't need no steenkin mice. Just get a Mac modem cable, add a
cross-over null modem extension, and use the serial console.

Indigos are just so slow now that working in X is quite painful IMO. I'm
trying to find the time to blitz Irix 5.3 (which can't even handle
arbitrary subnets) and install NetBSD on it.

> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

Christian

--