[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 08:03:29 UTC 2006

Hello,
   The standard BT phone line carries DC volts, and the A and B legs of the
pair should be connected the correct way round at the BT termination.
   I am very suspicious about further information given to me, so can anyone
please confirm or rubbish the following:

   I have been told that ADSL is phase sensitive, and should also arrive at
the customer's termination phase correct relative to the normal phone, and
that occasionally the ADSL is not connected correctly at the exchange,
resulting in the wrong phasing. This is sometimes sorted at the local
termination rather than correcting the exchange fault.

   I suspect that the fault seen (not on my line) was really just a poor
insulation displacement connection, and any re-make would have sorted the
problem, rather than a phase reversal.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk