[Gllug] Consumer SDSL

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 11:32:50 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> Are there any consumer SDSL services in the UK?  I just want my normal
> ADSL package tweaked so that the upload speed matches the download
> speed, so I can upload large files without totally killing the
> connection.  I don't want to have to pay > 149/month for a business
> package to do it ...

No.

For example, BTwholesale charge £80.5/month for 2Mbps SDSL backhaul to
the ISP plus the charges for using the BT Central (connection between BT
and the SP). The central cost if you wanted uncontended connecitivity
would be ~£200/month just for you (in reality you would be not using
2Mbps all the time and it would be contended). Then there is
transit/services/support to take into account.

And those prices are exc VAT.

If the ISP was on SBC for their central (they pay a lower rental but the
cost per line increases to pay for utilisation), BTwholesale would be
charging them £175/month for the 2Mbps SDSL line.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk