[Gllug] ssh daemon problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Thu Aug 31 10:45:13 UTC 2006

I have a managed server (Debian64) with which I am having some problems with.

The server runs ftp, sendmail, httpd and (supposedly) sshd. But the sshd
seems to have stopped working.

When I boot it up in rescue mode I can see no reason for the failure
(nothing in the logs) - though the only thing I can think of is that I
added a line in /etc/hosts

ie it went from

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

x.x.x.x  mydomain.net

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the external interface and mdomain.net
is internet resolvable domain name.

This change caused some apache difficulties too, but they were pretty easy
to fix. Would it also break the ssh? Can I just script apt-get to
reinstall sshd on the next boot?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk