[Gllug] Was there Power Outage at Telehouse?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 21:17:37 UTC 2006

On Thu 17 Aug, - Tethys wrote:

> On 8/17/06, Matthew Thompson <matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > It appears it was the power distribution unit lost power - this is the
> > last section before your/your ISP's servers so would be difficult to
> > build in much more redundancy there.
>
> Not so. Redundant PDUs per room, feeds from both PDUs to each cabinet,
> and multiple power supplies per server, taking feeds from both PDUs.
> Simple, really.
>
> Tet

   We ran some of our gear like that, with each PSU feeding through a
massive diode and easily able to take the full load, but carefully adjusted
so that it carried half the load so that there was minimum disturbance if
one died. Both power diodes died, and we did not have another spare.
   Do you remember the first evening that BBC2 went on (and off) air? There
were two secure power feeds from different directions, as fed to hospitals
and other vital services. Unfortunately both came via the same short duct at
Battersea Power Station, and were burnt out at the same time by the same
cable fire. The risk was known, but it was deemed too expensive to do
anything about it. Standby generators were installed, but not yet
operational.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk