[Gllug] Configuring SPF to cope with secondary incoming mail servers

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Dec 7 13:37:16 UTC 2006

On Wednesday, 6 Dec 2006, Jason Clifford wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, David Damerell wrote:
>>That is _much_ less true than it was.
>Can you guarantee that every host on the internet is free of that
>problem? Can you guarantee that all senders of legitimate email are free
>of it?

Can you guarantee that accepting email at a loose-policy secondary MX
won't cause loss of legitimate mail to more aggressive post-delivery
spam filtering? No? Then it comes down to what's more likely; and the
issue I describe will affect you all the time, whereas incorrectly
short retry times only affect you if your primary is down or
unavailable (and for how long? Not that it doesn't happen, but I can't
remember the last day-long ISP problem that affected me...)

Furthermore a site with a stupidly short retry is definitely broken
and senders of email from broken systems are going to lose now and
again no matter what we do.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Teleute, December.