[Gllug] Configuring SPF to cope with secondary incoming mail servers

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Dec 4 14:00:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> > I've been doing a bit of research on how one can configure SPF for
> > incoming mail if you don't have control over your secondary MX servers
> > (typically because they belong to your ISP).
>
> SPF is a waste of everyone's time and effort.  Ignore it, it'll go away.

I very much disagree. It can serve a helpful purpose so long as it is
clearly understood to be advisory only.

To answer the OPs question: if you don't have control over the secondary
MX server you cannot use SPF on them. It makes no difference to the SPF
records you may choose to publish as they are only for outgoing email.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98