[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Alex A. Smith MCP asmith at asmhosting.com
Sun Dec 17 15:14:15 UTC 2006

> Even the Debian installer can be used in about 50 languages

Seeing as the installer is CLI (yes I know there's a GUI one as well) any
language that bash supports works. I can't remember exactly how many are on
the Live CD though.

> 12 architecture groups

16, though three aren't "arches" as they are subsets of ppc/sparc and x86
(macos and fbsd based installs)*

> I have not seen a count of official software packages in the current Etch,
but it is quite a few more than the approximately 15500 in Sarge

Unofficial count that I have seen on gentoo-portage is 11463 packages, 23790
ebuilds. They don't officially distribute binary packages.**

> Is Gentoo that restrictive? On Debian you can choose to install individual
Debian packages from any of the

Emerge does this. Emerge =dev-whatever\package-version if I remember
correctly. Or package.mask or package.unmask for hiding/using newer versions
of software.

> distributions from unstable to retired stable, or any other software as
"local" where the Debian system
> will not attempt to modify it every time a new version becomes available.

Package.mask

> Needless to say there is a comprehensive range of development tools if you
wish to add your own software.

Which on the most part are part of the base gentoo install as they are used
to build the system.

Alex

* I think this is the latest version of the file I referenced -
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/arch.list?view=mark
up
** I have no idea how accurate this is so don't hold me to it -
http://gentoo-portage.com/Statistics - graphs are handy