[Gllug] Wireless encryption

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Dec 26 19:38:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> > Bet?  I know several people who work in the NOC at a couple of ISPs.
> > They shut off accounts on a daily basis because people have spyware
> > infected machines and have refused or been unable to do anything about
> > it.  Those people with intentionally, or unintentionally, open networks
> > may well fir into the latter:  an unpatched Windows machine is using
> > their connection to DoS and/or spam.
>
> this problem has nothing to do with encryption

Out of general interest - what planet are you on?

Here encryption is the only viable protection against having your wireless
network abused by others - abuse for which you will be held responsible
and which may result in legal action against you.

As Martin has pointed out people get cut off every day due to network
abuse.

Of course if you are happy to take those risks that is your choice but
nobody should be under the impression that your advise is good in this
respect.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98