[Gllug] Constrained virtual machines

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Dec 1 10:44:02 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 03:05:11PM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> Is anyone using VM technology that provides limits on CPU and I/O as
>> well as memory usage?
>
> Be aware that disk performance under any VM I've seen sucks compared
> to the real hardware ...  So if you're testing a database, where disk
> I/O performance really matters, it's not clear the test will be fair.

Ah, but I don't care if disk access is 10 times slower than for-real. So
long as I can then scale CPU and memory by the relevant amount to keep
things balanced.

I'm not interested in absolute performance figures but the interplay
between (virtual) hardware and database configuration.

As you point out, disk performance does seem to suck with VMs
(understandable) which with an unconstrained VM would mean the effects
of disk-cache would be out of proportion to the effects on a "real" server.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd