[Gllug] FQDN for local mail relay?

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 23:52:57 UTC 2006

Andy McGarty wrote:
> Are the mails going out with a source (from) BT address or your company
> address?
>
> If they are not BT then BT probably won't deliver them, thinking they are
>  spam.
>
> I would change your config to not use BT's mail relay, but deliver
> directly.
>
> Andy

The mail clients send mail from <name>@robinsonengineers.co.uk but the
server's hostname is simply 'robinson.local' however we arranged with BT for
them to whitelist our domain since it's hosted with BT. It's just that we're
not using the domain on our mailserver since it's not public.

Sending the mail out directly is worse for us than relaying because certain
ISPs, AOL for example, won't recognise the mailserver if it doesn't have a
public domain name. That's why we opted for relaying.

Garry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk