[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Dec 18 20:26:20 UTC 2006

On 17 Dec 2006, Juergen Schinker told this:
> Am So, 17.12.2006, 17:29, schrieb Nix:
>> Sorry, you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>> mplayer detects the CPU in use at runtime, and switches its
>> time-critical inner loops to use CPU-optimized code, so your purported
>> advantage is negated.
>
> no it explicite recommends compiling it with optimized Flags

This is because the mplayer people are speed demons and because
compiling it with CPU-correct flags *does* give a tiny speedup.

However I for one can't detect it: it's probably less than 2%.

(That recommendation is mostly residue from before the dynamic-switch-
at-runtime stuff was implemented, though: it's not *wrong* so nobody's
removed it, but it's mostly unnecessary.)

>> OpenOffice spends nearly all of its time waiting for the user. The
>> longest single delay anywhere is relocation delays imposed by
>> OpenOffice's heavy use of dlopen(), and *that* isn't fixable until
>> OpenOffice gets restructured to use DT_NEEDED more. I kind of doubt that
>> Gentoo has totally rewritten ld-linux.so.2 (in fact I'm sure they
>> haven't; they have very few patches to glibc in fact: many fewer than
>> Debian) so therefore this problem must be every bit as significant on
>> Gentoo as on Debian.
>
> you feel it when it starts up

That is the relocation delay, and Gentoo definitely haven't fixed it.

However, if you've not installed the prelink package and prelinked your
system, you'll notice (maybe Gentoo runs prelink more frequently than
Debian does, I don't know: at any rate it's a matter of tweaking one
cronjob to run it more often, and because it scans the entire disk and
rewrites heaps of binaries you don't want to run it more often than
actually necessary).

>>> No i run Debian only in an VM on a Gentoo Host;
>>
>> Uh, if you're running it in a VM then the slowdowns you're seeing are
>> probably caused by virtualization overhead.
>
> i didn't say that it slowdowns,how come

You said that it was much slower than Gentoo. If your only experience of
Debian is under a Gentoo-native VM, then of course you'll think that.

> but now its enuff
> end of discussion
> period

Sorry, the rest of us will keep talking if we want to.

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'