[Gllug] Debian and Dunc-Tanc - opinions?

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Dec 21 12:48:16 UTC 2006

Hello all:

my company is basically a Debian shop and some time ago signed up to
Dunc-Tank

http://www.dunc-tank.org/about.html

Our idea was to give a bit back - seeing as we have a business built (in
part) on Debian :)

I am not in a position to contribute (worthwhile!) code, and have no
time to do doc.

Also, while being happy with stable we would quite like some features in
Etch.

However, on further thought we perceived a few potential problems with
this, so have not so far contributed any cash.

Given the (often rather inaccurate) reports that are appearing, such as
this -

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61976570,00.htm

- abstaining from monetary contribution would seem to have been a sound
move.

So I'd like to ask Debian people particularly but everyone in general
what their ideas are around this issue?

My real interest is: how to contribute effectively to the Debian project
without rattling the cages.

Some links:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2006/10/msg00260.html
http://www.debianhelp.org/node/2375