[Gllug] Xen hotplug problems (was Tornado in London)

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:20:42 UTC 2006

On 12/8/06, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:

> Ahh, the joy of Xen error reporting & its convoluted device architecture :-)

Indeed. For all I love Xen, and despite what Novell seem to believe,
it *really* isn't ready for prime time use yet, for this very reason
(and others, FWIW). It's fine when it works. But when it doesn't,
you're on your own, due to the almost total absence of documentation.

> Why run a shell script directly, when you can create a kernel module
> which registers a sysfs file, which fires a notification to userspace,
> which triggers udev, which runs a shell script.

Exactly.

> How many network cards does your host have & which is primary ? Also,
> are you using the bridged networking config ?

3 cards, eth0 is the primary (it's an e100 -- the other two are tg3).
Yes, I'm using bridged networking, with the xend-config.sxp being
identical to the one on my other working Xen machine (which has the
same 3 cards, in the same order).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk