[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Thu Dec 14 12:37:05 UTC 2006

Juergen Schinker wrote:
> Am Do, 14.12.2006, 19:17, schrieb Mike Brodbelt:
>> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>>>
>>> And what about the other couple of hundred servers?
>> I'd love to see the cost differential in electricity between deploying
>> 200 Gentoo machines and 200 Debian machines... In these days of
>> environmental awareness, one might even manage to say that every Gentoo
>> install generates enough CO2 to kill a Gentoo by habitat destruction :-P
>>

> but how much does it take to (re)install any major Debian Release nearly
> every half year on any given Debian server
>
> Gentoos Power comes in long term view
>
> Juergen

Does anyone actually use Gentoo in a production environment and if so
how do you get along with it?

I created a Gentoo VPS a while ago as a server. I needed apache, so it
chugged away for a while compiling, then I needed php, chugs away
again.. then I needed something else .. chugs away..

I thought blow this for a lark and went back to CentOS. Presumably you
have to let it chug away every time there is a security update? Are
their any cycles left for actually doing *something* I wonder ;o)

regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk