[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Dec 31 12:53:21 UTC 2006

Peter Cannon writes:

>Aha! The famous on-board graphics scenario.
>
>When I joined my present employer we used to dissuade customers from going
>down that route from a hardware failure/performance point of view with the
>current trend of "cheap cheap cheap" theres strong resistance to separate
>graphics cards on the grounds of cost.

And rightly so. Onboard graphics are almost invariably a better choice for
pretty much any normal business desktop[1]. They tend to be well supported
under Linux without the need for closed source drivers that leave you
with a tainted (and hence unsupportable) kernel, they're more than fast
enough, and they've proved less prone to failure than a PCI/AGP/PCIE card
in my experience. Plus of course, you don't need to pay extra for them.
YMMV.

Tet

[1] The exception naturally being creative arty types.