[Gllug] LVM all wrong

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Thu Dec 28 18:50:48 UTC 2006

How can fix this with minimum pain?

I have a server running LVM and Ubuntu 6.06. I want to upgrade this to
6.10 but the upgrade fails because it claims to be unable to find a
volume set with the correct uuid.

This problem has been around for some time - since before I upgraded to
6.06 - but that upgrade dealt with it although I was never able to use
any of the newer kernels Ubuntu supplied me with.

I can 'fix' the server by dropping back to the old 6.06 kernel setup and
as this is fully backed up I could just do a clean install and restore
the files I want/need - though that seems like a lot of pain.

Ubuntu support for LVM seems a bit thin - but I am sure there are people
here who know about these things - is there a way of repairing/resetting
LVM on the fly?