[Gllug] Article: Linux is NOT windows

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Dec 21 17:18:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 01:08:29PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> >Quite an entertaining essay to pass on to any newbie you know who is
> >switching to Linux:
> >
> >http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

[...]
> On Tuesday I upgraded the software for Infinipath (*) cards on a Beowulf
> cluster at a UK national laboratory, Woodcrest machines if anyone is
> interested.
[...]

I think the word here is "typically".  Typically one installs Windows
drivers from vendor websites (but not always - Windows comes with many
drivers of its own).  Typically one installs a new Linux kernel to get
all the new drivers.  Not always.  Not a universal rule.  But that's
the general method.

Please keep going with this piece - it's a very interesting and
balanced essay (IMHO).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.