[Gllug] USB Headset

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sat Dec 2 18:24:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 04:56:21PM +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm trying to use my USB Plantronics headset on RHEL4, but
> it doesn't seem to be recognised.  I've tried using arecord
> without success.  I get the following whether the headset is
> plugged in or not.
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH - Intel 82801DB-ICH4

Looks like you've only got drivers loaded for your onboard sound chip.

Have a look at kernel messages when you plug in the device (you can use
the dmesg command for this).

You should then see what kind of device it is, and from there work out
what driver you need.

Hopefully it's a standard USB audio device - I think there's a generic
driver for these within ALSA.