[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 16 21:20:34 UTC 2006

On Sat 16 Dec, John G Walker wrote:

> Actually, I'm extremely interested in this debate for practical
> reasons. Debian seems to be heavily defeating Gentoo, so far.

   If you decide to try it, the current version in "testing" is Etch, now
past its scheduled release date because of delays while bugs are sorted, but
it should be declared "stable" soon. The new installer is thought to be one
of the easiest to use ever, but the development team request a report for
all installations, good or bad.
   I prefer the minimal "businesscard" installation CD plus a fast
connection to a Debian mirror, it will download only the kernel and software
you wish to install. I have my own local apt-proxy for all installations and
updates done here, which can also be used to build full installation ISO
images using jigdo.

--
Chris Bell