[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 17 01:12:05 UTC 2006

On 14 Dec 2006, Jason Clifford uttered the following:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, James Roberts wrote:
>
>> > ... but then I discovered gpart. A number of patches to gpart later, and
>> > I was home free. Strongly recommended
>>
>> It's saved my (veggie) bacon more than once :)
>>
>> And it's always (so far) guessed right!
>
> I don't trust any computer process to be able to guess right where it
> comes to recovering one of my systems hence I already print out and keep a
> copy of my partition table.

Likewise. But an even more important thing to keep printed out is a
bunch of magic numbers of important filesystems. That way, if a machine
goes tits-up and you don't have access to gpart or its partition table,
you can mock up something that finds magic numbers: from that, you
can determine the *start* of every partition, and then you're home free.
(If you have filesystem images in files on some of those partitions,
things can get a little more interesting, of course: but that's
quite rare.)

LVM wins here as well because its metadata is purely textual and so
really easy to recover ;)

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'