[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Dec 15 13:15:13 UTC 2006

Juergen Schinker wrote:
> Am Fr, 15.12.2006, 12:27, schrieb John Winters:
>> Juergen Schinker wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> but how much does it take to (re)install any major Debian Release nearly
>>> every half year on any given Debian server
>> That's the first time I've ever seen anyone complain about Debian's
>> major releases being too frequent.
>>

> why is it at all needed?

As I understand the Debian philosophy, the idea of the Stable
distribution (and we have to be talking about this one if we're talking
about major releases) is that it should be as stable as it possibly can
be.  For this reason a vast amount of testing goes into each one and
then they change very little (security updates only) between releases.
Far from coming out every six months the last few major releases have been:

Debian 2.2 (Potato)	14th August, 2000
Debian 3.0 (Woody)	19th July, 2002
Debian 3.1 (Sarge)	6th June, 2005

and coming soon to this intermission:

Debian 3.2 (Etch)	Dec 2006

Then there are security updates, which can be handled very easily by
means of a cron job running each night.  Every now and then a sort of
roll-up release (incorporating all the security patches to date) is
made, so that anyone installing a new box can start from there instead
of having to install the base release followed by all the security
patches.  Even the latter task though is very simple and
straightforward.  The current point release is:

Debian 3.1r4 (Sarge)	28th October, 2006

For anyone tracking the security patches, the point releases are irrelevant.

The point of all this is that a server running Stable is very thoroughly
insulated from surprising changes.  If you want you can carry on running
the previous stable version even after a new one has come out.  I forget
how long the security patches continue but it's at least a couple of
versions.  You can thus have a server that you *know* (or at least, as
close to knowing as is possible) isn't going to do anything surprising
and you can carry on with that same installation for 5 years or so; far
longer than anything other than an IBM mainframe offers you.

> the point is Gentoo hasn't got any major releases...
> and this fact brings it ahead of Debian

I confess I haven't used Gentoo in a few years so I'm not familiar with
its configuration process.  How does it achieve the same degree of
guaranteed stability?  It would appear that a distribution has a simple
choice - either you draw lines in the sand and say, "Nothing changes
beyond here - you can be sure of exactly what you've got at this point",
or you don't.  If you draw the line then you have releases and if you
don't then you don't, but it's difficult to see how you achieve the same
stable environment without them.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk