[Gllug] Mouse problem

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 12:04:25 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 11:54:24AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Hi
> I am am running a dual-boot system at home with XP and mandrake Linux.
> I rarely use the linux system at home,  but went to use it for the first time
> in a while to do some CD writing and discovered that it refuses to accept
> any mouse input whatsoever  -  the Gnome X-terminal screen mouse-pointer
> such sits there and will not move and no clicks are responded to!
>
> I am out of ideas as to where to look to fix this.
> THe mouse works fine on XP by the way.

It would be useful to know what type of interface your mouse sports.

Is it USB? PS/2? RS232? Something wacky?

>From there, it's a case of checking to see if the kernel picked it up
(certainly for USB and PS/2 devices, there is a kernel printk you can
look for)

Then you just need to look at the X startup log to hopefully see why
your mouse was ignored by X.

It could be as simple as USB HID modules not being automatically loaded.