[Gllug] Configuring SPF to cope with secondary incoming mail servers

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Dec 4 17:17:13 UTC 2006

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> what portion of the Internet uses SPF ?
>
> How is that relevant to anything?

why bother testing when most of the spam comes from domains that dont
publish a spf record ?

> The purpose of SPF is to provide a way for those with their own domain to
> specify where valid email may originate from tha domain.
>
>> and have you chosen to just black list the rest ?
>
> That's a silly question/comment.

read comment posted above.

> Having no SPF record simply means the domain registrant/hostmaster either
> doesn't know or care about SPF.

on one mail system I admin, we get between 2.4 - 2.6 Millions emails a
day, enabling SPF achieves a net result that does not even translate to
a complete percentage in discarded emails.[1]

- KB

[1] Tested in Apr 2006, over a 2 week period.