[Gllug] Tornado in London

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Fri Dec 8 14:49:43 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:24:17PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:24:17PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
>> Even near Tower Bridge, the tornado signs were there.  One of the
>> signs is very low clouds, indicating strange temperature and pressure
>> differences within the local atmosphere.  O

It appeared to pass me further down river (opposite the Dome). I was
aware of a lightning flash and thunder and then it was all over. I was
aware the wind had got up, but I didn't look up or out as I was
preoccupied.

The news last night referred to it as a "squall line" tracking roughly
west to east across the City.

Also that isn't the first time that part of the City got hit. A tornado
caused extensive damage to a Gunnersbury Tube Station back in December
1954  which would seem to rule out "global warming"

Later in the afternoon I was at West Ham station and East Bound Jubilee
Line Trains were not stopping, as a damaged sign was dangling rather
precariously over the platform!

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk