[Gllug] Constrained virtual machines

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Dec 13 16:45:55 UTC 2006

On Dec 13, 01:15, paul at ma1.se wrote:
> Jim Bailey wrote:
> >>>

> As for disco I/O its all quota based with OpenVZ/Virtuozzo simfs/vzfs
> filesystem, the VM isn't mounted on file or disc image so I would have
> said that coupled with the fact you are only running one
> (OpenVZ/Virtuozzo) kernel it was as close to "bare metal" as possible in
> terms of performance.

They talk of a 2-3% performance hit but I take that with a pinch of
salt.

> The developers of OpenVZ are very helpful on the forums and mailing
> lists - www.openvz.org

I lurk on the OpenVZ forums and list and can second that I have often
found the answer to my Virtuozzo problems in the OpenVZ forums before I
get a reply from SWsoft support.

OpenVZ is a much under rated and under utilised platform and deserves a
little bit of Xen's glory.

--
Peace Jim :-)

 Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable
 -- JFK