[Gllug] Configuring SPF to cope with secondary incoming mail servers

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Tue Dec 5 16:32:51 UTC 2006

Alain Williams wrote:
<snip>
> The only real problem that I have with SPF is some mail lists hosted on clara-net,
> their mail list s/ware posts mail on with it coming from me - this causes SPF
> problems. One of their MX servers also seems to have the check reversed and bounces
> any mail that I send from one of my SPF servers. Moral: don't use clara-net.

If you can point me in the direction of any maladies I will investigate
for you. There are no SPF records published, nor lookups used in
processing for Claranet mail.
</clara-hat>

In general, it would be somewhat unreasonable (and possibly unethical)
for mailing list software to forge headers simply to make SPF work where
it otherwise fails because of poor design. I believe there are some
crack-fuelled schemes to work around the inherent failure of SPF to cope
with forwarding. None of these address the fact that SPF is a bit of a
white elephant ;)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk