[Gllug] redirecting stdout to multiple files

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 15:25:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 11:43:14AM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On 12/15/06, Ben Fitzgerald <ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >echo hi | tee /tmp/log.txt
> >
> >but just using i/o redirection with a single cmd.
>
> Do you have a specific reason for not wanting to just use tee here?

I want to be able to have a single line that outputs to stdout and a
logfile without spawning a subshell by using a pipe. I'd imagine this
kind of thing must be in build scripts? I want two modes, though:

1. output to stdout only
2. output to stdout and logfile

I +could+ just use tee, it's true but then I'd need two lines, AFAIK:

[ -n "$stdout_only" ] && echo hi
[ -z "$stdout_only" ] && echo hi | tee -a /tmp/mylog.txt

I had a quick go through the i/o section of the advanced bash scripting
guide but nothing leapt out at me.

cheers,

ben.

--