[Gllug] latest zero day Word flaw

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Dec 7 14:18:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, John G Walker wrote:

> I looked Snort's web site up. It looks jam-packed full of stuff, but
> seems to omit (the apparently irrelevant) information as to what it
> precisely does. Does it just, as the name (and Tet) suggests, just tell
> you if you have had your PC burgled? Or does it do anything to prevent
> burglary?

On it's own Snort simply details the attempts to use known exploits
against the box.

In the long *nix tradition it expects another tool in the chain to take
some suitable action based upon it's output.

This is often used by firewall admins simply to see how many attacks are
coming against the box and being blocked so as to pat oneself of the back
(and justify the expense of a managed firewall to PHBs).

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98