[Gllug] FQDN for local mail relay?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 10:16:23 UTC 2006

On Tue 19 Dec, Garry Heaton wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
> > I am typing this on riscpc.localdomain and my mailserver is sitting on
> > the same local network, but there is a local DNS A record pointer to it
> > as postman.mydomain (see the header on this email), it is configured as
> > postman.mydomain and it re-writes the "From: " header and gives the
> > correct "helo" response. It also has an alias as postman.localdomain so
> > that everything else just knows it as "postman".
> >

> There is no local DNS on this machine but I have access to the DNS config
> panel for the domain at BT. Don't know if that would make any difference. Do
> you suggest an additional A record for 'robinsonengineers.co.uk' on BT's DNS?
>
> Garry

   My network is all hidden behind the ADSL modem running NAT and my
firewall running masquerading, with private addresses. I have my own BIND9
DNS server that covers my network which serves all the local boxes, and acts
as relay for all DNS searches for external addresses, with DNS provided by
my ISP. The real addresses for my local boxes can be glimpsed in parts of my
header, but are not accessible from outside.

--
Chris Bell