[Gllug] Tornado in London

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 8 04:15:35 UTC 2006

SteveC wrote:

>* @ 07/12/06 06:02:03 PM jr at stabilys.com wrote:
>

>>Incidentally (and trivially): more energy into weather systems -> more
>>likelihood of transitions over boundary conditions into new chaotic
>>forms with bifurcations, period doublings etc... so more tornados to
>>come, no doubt.
>>

>Could you explain some of this? It's been a long time since I studied
>complex systems and fractals... While I recognise the terms I'm not
>wholly clear on why increasing the energy implies them?
>
>have fun,
>
>SteveC steve at asklater.com http://www.asklater.com/steve/

I'm a bit rusty on my chaos theory, but I'll try to explain from what I
know. Chaotic systems tend to oscillate around a fixed state (local
minimum). If you put more energy in, the state can shift and the system
can then oscillate around a higher energy equilibrium, until the energy
is dissipated, when it returns to the the lower equilibrium state.

One example is a pendulum swinging, if you put enough energy in it will
tend to keep swinging for ever, if you put more energy in, then
eventually it will start to circle around the fixed point.

The weather is a very complex system, in that it has both positive and
negative feedbacks. For example a tornado will eventually dissipate
through loss of energy (negative feedback), but with global warming,
melting of ice caps causes less sunlight reflected back, kills many of
the carbon dioxide eating creatures, and releases methane locked in
permafrost (positive feedbacks).

But it's late and I must go to bed...

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk