[Gllug] Vodafone 3G modem

Julian Somers jsomers at wiredocean.com
Fri Dec 15 00:40:24 UTC 2006

On 11 Dec 2006, at 16:17, Alex Crow wrote:

> I have a laptop from work with the embedded version, which is actually
> faster (it implements UMTS). They both appear as a USB serial port
> (eg /dev/ttyUSB0). For the embedded card to work I did have a add a
> manfacturer/deviced id (abcd:1234) to the usbserial options. I use
> KPPP
> to dial it up.
Any idea if this USB device uses the Sierra Wireless driver? (I
assume that your embedded module is Sierra Aircard MC87xx) Can you
give me the real device ID? Im trying to find a USB 3G terminal to
use with Linux in a marine application; as far as I can tell, the
only linux 3G USB support is for sierra wireless, and Id be keen to
know if their USB device works: this monster [http://
www.sierrawireless.com/product/mp875gps.aspx], shipping in February,
is what I'm aiming at.

Julian