[Gllug] Article: Linux is NOT windows

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Dec 21 13:08:29 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> Quite an entertaining essay to pass on to any newbie you know who is
> switching to Linux:
>
> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Boogle. I don't think I'm even going to finish reading this.

"As a simple example, consider driver upgrades: one typically upgrades a
hardware driver on Windows by going to the manufacturer's website and
downloading the new driver; whereas in Linux you upgrade the kernel."

On Tuesday I upgraded the software for Infinipath (*) cards on a Beowulf
cluster at a UK national laboratory, Woodcrest machines if anyone is
interested.
To upgrade the drivers - just guess what I did.
Visited the manufacturers site, downloaded the drivers, and compiled
them against the kernel on the machines. Then loaded up the new kernel
modules.

OK - I'll give you that I had to compile against the kernel on the
machines, but given that this comes as an RPM it was pretty painless.
No change to the kernel. None. Zilch.

(*) http://www.pathscale.com/infinipath.php

--
      John Hearns