[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 12:52:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 10:41:29AM +0000, John G Walker wrote:
> I found xorg.conf, but don't exactly understand how it works. I knew it
> was the correct place, since I was able to edit the manufacturer's and
> model name succesfully. But I can't quite see how the monitor size
> relates to the list of model sizes.
>
> Anyone know where I can find where it's all explained?

It probably isn't necessary to specify things in xorg.conf - YaST has
probably put explicit monitor settings in there, based on what you
selected.

If you take them out, X should be able to retrieve DDC information from
the monitor and work out what resolutions to use from there.

Works for me, except if I use DVI on the ATi stuff we have at work - for
some reason, DDC just doesn't work then (works if I use the VGA HD15
connector, though).