[Gllug] Moving processor between boxes

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Feb 5 10:41:49 UTC 2006

t.clarke wrote:
> Surely the whole point of SMP is the box can two two things simultaneously,
> not do one thing twice as fast?

For a unithreading program that's essentially true.  You can however run
more instances on the program and set the affinity of each process to a
different CPU. Assuming one instance per CPU, you will gain overall
performance.

> Or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely?

Many applications these days are threaded, these can take advantage of
dual processor and/or multicore processors to run concurrently on more
than one CPU.  This is also sort of true for HT processors, but only
"sort of".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk