[Gllug] Running gnome-terminal from cron

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:25:23 UTC 2006

On 22/02/06, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:

> Simon Morris writes:
>
> >Nah - should be OK. It is for my laptop, not an always on system and I
> >need to run this script at set intervals during the day (timesheet
> >application)
>
> So, err... why do you need to run it in a terminal?

Our timesheet application is an ASP based web application which is
slow and clunky (but fairly simple) to use.

Basically you logon.. select the client (wait a second or two for the
correct menu options to load) select the project (wait again) select
category, fill in rest of form and hit submit. Entering each time
entry probably takes about 30-40 seconds

I wrote a CLI client using Python, ClientForm* and urllib2. Entering a
time entry takes about 7 seconds and I can script it if I need to

It works great, and is much faster but I'd like it to popup every 30
minutes so I can fill it in and get rid of it.

*http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/
--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com