[Gllug] sony ericsson mobiles & linux

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 15:59:15 UTC 2006

On 02/02/06, Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> wrote:

> Hell, if I could get unlimited data, I'd listen to net radio on my
> phone.  Battery life would be pretty short, I suspect.

For the record, I can and have done this - the main reason I don't is that
the GPLed media player I use on the Treo doesn't support streaming (yet -
and the windows mobile version of the same player does) so I'd have to buy a
shareware proprietary thing.  Given that the thing is running a proprietary
OS, and most of the other software I use on it is proprietary, I should
probably get off my high horse, suck it up, and buy something...

It is rather nice that Virgin Radio have AAC, AAC+ (whatever that is), MP3
and Ogg Vorbis streams at 32kbit, the perfect rate for GRPS streaming :-)
Walking through the streets of Tsuen Wan, listening to streaming radio from
London on my phone made for an interesting juxtaposition.

What I really want is a 3G SIM card that will do reasonable (i.e., £1/meg
> or less) data throughout Europe.  I've found these guys who do free
> roaming inbound calls, reasonable outbound rates, but no data:
> http://gt-9.com/websites/gt_sim/login_page/body.php?lang=eng

I'm told that although my free 3G trial includes unlimited data use, their
definition of 'data' is effectively 'anything available on our network' -
covers things like streaming video/audio from their servers, but not
Internet.  Since this will be a trial and I will be expecting to have
opportunities to provide feedback, I plan to make my views on the walled
garden extremely clear.

Cheers
Richard